RR Logo

Richmond Rescue, Inc.
Providing 911 ambulance service to the towns of Richmond, Bolton, Huntington and southern Jericho since 1971

Home How to Join
Download a membership application, save the form to your computer, fill it out, and send it back to director@richmondrescue.org.

What are the requirements to become a member?
We require that you be age 16 or older and have a strong desire to help your community. For potential members still in high school we offer a cadet program to learn the workings of EMS without the time commitment of full membership.Monday crew

What kind of time commitment do I have to make?
We require that members run a weekly, 12 hour shift. That can occur on a day crew (Monday through Friday from 6am to 6pm) or a night crew (Sunday through Friday from 6pm to 6am). We also require every member to run two, 12 hour weekend shifts. We can be flexible with the scheduling of the weekend shifts if you have other commitments.

Do I need to have any EMS experience?
No prior EMS experience is required although many of our new members join us having already taken an EMT course at UVM. Once you have been on the squad for six months we will sponsor and pay for an EMT class.

Who are your current members and what are their backgrounds?
We have members with all different backgrounds: carpenter, land surveyor, doctor, nurse, theater lighting director, medical assistant, medical student, financial analyst and many more. The diversity of our membership is what makes us an interesting place to volunteer.

Do I need to live in your service area to be a member?
No. More than half our members reside in our service area. Some members are from nearby towns and a number of members are college students in Burlington.CPR

What is involved in learning to drive the ambulance?
We have an involved checklist that goes from learning the basics to how to drive through traffic with your lights and sirens. The process takes three to six months depending on how many calls you get during your shifts.

What area do you serve?
We are the primary ambulance for the towns of Richmond, Huntington and Bolton. We also cover the southern half of Jericho and about six homes in Starksboro. We frequently respond to other towns when their primary ambulance is out on another call.

How busy will I be when I am on duty?
That depends. We average around 525 calls per year. The winter tends to be busier with the operation of the ski area and more car crashes. Days shifts account for 65 percent of calls. Our active members run between 30 and 60 calls a year depending on which shift they run. We occasionally have days with more that five calls in one shift. Each call takes between an hour and a half and three hours to complete depending on its location.Statehouse

What do you do when you aren’t out on calls?
Our station has six beds, three TVs, wireless internet and a washer/dryer. Crews train during each shift as well as com-plete a rig check to make sure everything on the truck is accounted for and working properly. Members can go into Richmond for groceries and meals as long as they keep a pager with them.

How will I know if I can handle the gruesome calls?
If you faint at the sight of blood you may want to reconsider applying. Otherwise, it is hard to know how you’ll do. 95% of our calls are pretty routine and not that exciting. The other 5% range from big trauma to cardiac events and strokes. Before joining we ask that potential members do a ride along with us to get a better idea of what ambulance service is about. If there is something you just can’t handle on a call, more experienced members are usually willing to let you ride up front. Everyone, even seasoned veterans, have their triggers.

After reading this I’m interested in joining. What are the next steps?
Download an application from our web site: www.richmondrescue.org. Email it to director@richmondrescue.org. Once we receive your application we’ll have you in for a ride-along/interview, we’ll check your references and our board of directors will vote on your application. Once accepted you’ll be a probationary member for the next six months. If all goes well you’ll be voted on as a full member around the six month mark.

Occasionally our openings and your schedule many not match up. In that case we’ll put you on the wait list and let you know when we have an opening that might work for you.

If you have any questions that weren’t covered send us an email at director@richmondrescue.org
About Us
How to Join
CPR & First Aid Classes
Events Calendar

Richmond Rescue, Inc.
216 Railroad Street
Richmond, VT 05477